Saturday, January 26, 2013

Petition | Tony Burke: Protect sacred Aboriginal burial grounds in the Kimberley | Change.org

Petition | Tony Burke: Protect sacred Aboriginal burial grounds in the Kimberley | Change.org:
The WA State government has given permission for Woodside's proposed gas plant to disturb ancient burial grounds in the dunes near James Price Point (Walmadany) without giving any rationale, and despite findings by a previous State Government that these sites must be protected for environmental and cultural heritage reasons.

Tony Burke: Protect sacred Aboriginal burial grounds in the KimberleyTraditional owner, Teresa Roe says, “My spirit comes from this country. My sister was stolen by welfare so my parents hid me, so I could be raised on country with my culture. I raised 9 of my own children and 8 of my sisters children after she passed away. My sons are the law men for this country. They have the responsibility to protect it. They hold the songs, the stories. Our ancestors are buried in those dunes. No one would allow a whitefella cemetery to be dug up so why here?

When Tony Burke sat down with us he looked me in the eye, and I told him “I kept my country alive… I don’t want anybody destroying it. I don’t want the money, I want the country and my spirit."

The state government has failed us. We need Tony Burke to step in and act.”

More info here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment